*Results may vary from person to person
Skin resurfacing in Rhode Island and Massachusetts
Skin resurfacing and rejuvenation procedures are used to improve the vitality, youthfulness and appearance of the skin. Such cosmetic procedures can vary from laser rejuvenation or IPL skin rejuvenation procedures, to non-laser skin rejuvenation treatments. Laser skin resurfacing is an amazing procedure that makes it possible to eliminate fine lines, acne scars, and moles and benign skin tags without causing any scars - and often with minimal downtime.
Skin resurfacing and rejuvenation procedure choices
There are a number of skin rejuvenation procedures available to help the skin look younger and more refreshed. Facial skin rejuvenation is geared toward age spots, wrinkles, noticeable blood vessels, and changes in skin coloration and texture.
Note: Results vary and are not guaranteed for all patients. All images and benefits for procedures provided by Skinsational presented on this site represent specific results for individual clients.
Common skin resurfacing and rejuvenation procedures include the following:
Botulinum toxin injections BOTOX® or Dysport®
– A synthetic purified protein derived from a bacteria is injected in the muscle tissue to relax it and to prevent muscle contractions under the skin, smoothening lines and wrinkles more commonly on the frown, forehead and crows-feet areas.
- Gel-like substances (e.g., Juvederm®, Restylane®) are injected to plump up and reshape wrinkles or lines in the skin. Common areas include facial smile lines, wrinkles, creases, acne scars and lips.
– A chemical solution is applied that removes the outer skin layer, revealing a fresh new layer of skin after healing.
Laser skin resurfacing
– Using a laser, skin cells are removed from the affected area, allowing new skin cells to grow.
Laser Hair Removal
and Laser Vein Removal
– A Laser is used to achieve it.
Laser Mole Removal and Laser Pigment Removal – A specific Laser is used for each procedure.
Laser Facial for Rosacea and Acne
– A specific Laser is used on the skin to destroy the bacteria that causes acne and to improve the redness/alterations on the skin caused by Rosacea.
Mesotherapy, Lipodissolve, Cellulite
treatment – A natural substance is injected in the fatty tissue in order to promote fat destruction and remodeling.
Microdermabrasion – Small sterile particles are used to rub away the top layer of damaged skin. The particles and dead skin cells are then cleaned away with a suction device.
– The superficial layer of the skin is gently vaporized with a mild and controlled sub-ablative laser treatment. Nothing touches or rubs the skin as in Microdermabrasion. The dead cells and particles are eliminated. There is no downtime. It is a simple procedure with excellent, consistent results.
Nonablative (meaning it does not destroy the skin surface) laser rejuvenation and resurfacing can improve the texture and appearance of the skin and reduce uneven skin tone, without damaging the outer layer of the skin (epidermis). Nonablative lasers (e.g., visible light lasers, mid-infrared lasers [Nd:YAG lasers]) bypass the epidermis and deliver energy to the underlying layers of skin (dermis), stimulating collagen growth and skin tightening.
These procedures can be used in patients with all skin types, and may be better choices for patients who have skin types IV-VI. Nonablative resurfacing may cause fewer side effects and result in faster recovery times. Your results from any skin rejuvenation procedure may vary depending on a wide variety of factors, which Dr. Luciano is happy to discuss during your consultation and throughout the course of your treatments.
Skin type factors
The patient’s skin type is an important factor used by health care providers to help determine which cosmetic procedure, or combination of treatments, is best for each patient.
In general, skin types I-III have a lower risk for problems such as skin discoloration, blotchiness, darkening or lightening of the skin (hyper- and hypopigmentation), burns, or scarring following cosmetic skin treatments and skin types IV-VI have a higher risk.
Fitzpatrick Classification Scale
Physicians use the Fitzpatrick Classification Scale to classify a person’s complexion and tolerance to sunlight. The Fitzpatrick scale classifies skin types from I to VI.
This classification can identify patients who may be at increased risk for developing problems, such as skin discoloration (dyschromia) and darkening or lightening of areas of the skin (hyper- or hypopigmentation), following certain skin rejuvenation procedures.
Fitzpatrick skin types:
– Very white or freckled skin, always burns with sun exposure (very fair; often in people with red or blond hair and blue eyes). Example: red-haired or natural blond
– White skin, usually burns with sun exposure (fair; often in people with red or blond hair and blue, green, or hazel eyes). Example: Irish or Polish background
– White or light-Olive skin tone, sometime burns with sun exposure (fair; seen in people with any hair or eye color). Example: Portuguese background
– Darker skin tone, Olive skin; rarely burns with sun exposure (common in people of Mediterranean descent). Example: Asian background
– Dark brown skin, very rarely burns with sun exposure. Example: Caribbean background, Dominican Republic
– Black skin, never burns with sun exposure
Certain cosmetic procedures, such as dermabrasion, microdermabrasion, and some laser treatments, should be performed with caution on people with skin types IV-VI. In these patients, the risks are weighed against potential benefits, and other treatments may be considered, such as nonablative laser rejuvenation.
Other factors to be considered include the following:
- Age of the patient
- Area of skin to be treated
- Level of skin damage (e.g., mild, moderate, severe; often caused by sun exposure)
- Treatment goals (e.g., reduce fine lines, wrinkles, skin discoloration)
Disclaimer: individual results may vary. Be sure to discuss these factors with Dr. Luciano during your consultation and during the course of your skin rejuvenation treatments.
Please call us at (401) 521-0303 to schedule your no-obligation consultation. We look forward to meeting you at the Skinsational Laser and Hair Removal Center.